Thursday, November 3, 2022

Lighthouse of the Week, October 23-29, 2022: Spectacle Reef, Michigan

 

If you're looking at this post and noticing that it fell into the November blog post listing, you're right, I've fallen a bit behind.  I'm going to remedy that right now with two back-to-back Lighthouse of the Week posts, and then I'm going to do some catching up because my busy October put me behind my one post a day schedule, which makes me proud.  Not all my posts are masterpieces (or even artistic), but I try to keep abreast of current events, as well as top notch bosoms.  As anybody perusing this blog could determine for themselves.

I'm also going to feature two lighthouses from the state of Michigan.  This first one stands fairly close to Canada, near the Straits of Mackinac.  If you're not sure where that is, click right on this line.

Because it's way off the coast of anywhere, I don't expect that there's a lot of pictures of it (I'm making this up as I write), so we'll find out.

But first, let the Lighthouse Directory tell us some facts about it.

"1874 (O.M. Poe). Active; focal plane 86 ft (26 m); red flash every 5 s. 93 ft (28.5 m) round limestone tower with lantern and gallery, incorporating keeper's house, mounted on a square limestone crib and attached to 1-story limestone fog signal building; solar-powered lens. Tower unpainted; lantern roof painted red. The original 2nd order Fresnel lens, removed in 1982, is on display at the National Museum of the Great Lakes in Toledo, Ohio."

The rest of the history involves who bought and sold it after it was put up for auction.

But this How Stuff Works page tells some more history, and discusses how dangerous the reef that the lighthouse marks was considered.

And here's a page just about this one lighthouse:  Spectacle Reef Light Station

And I'm providing an extended video about preserving it:


So, let's see what pictures can be found.  I added a historical one from 1891.











No comments: