Sunday, July 19, 2026

Never mind my predictions










My first post in July was a gentle prediction for the outcome of Wimbledon, in which I suggested that Naomi Osaka, Coco Gauff, or Jessica Pegula might have a chance to win the big one on grass.  I never had any idea that either Noskova or Muchová was going to be in the final, much less both of them (Noskova won after nearly losing the chance to win, if you didn't know). Now, Gauff had a heroic semifinal against Muchová, so she almost made it.

On the men's side, I was right about Sinner, but I said "as long as he's playing, no one else is".  I didn't give Zverev a thought. I should have. Sinner is indeed a bit more consistent, and was able to do what champion players do, which is to exploit a couple of mistakes. But Zverev gave him a good battle. 

Next up, we'll consider the U.S. Open in late August.



No comments: