This is a bit strange; even though I'm catching up on Lighthouses of the Week for the past several months, the one I'm featuring for the week of May 31 - June 6 is one that I just saw on the Bing.com homepage. I always look at their daily rotating image and take the three question quiz, even though I don't use it for searching (does anybody)?
So the lighthouse is the Westerheversand Lighthouse. I'll be including the Bing homepage picture below.
First, though, the location, which is here on the map. I had to zoom out a bit, so it was possible to see where Kiel is, the nearest city of note.
Now, we can find out more about it, via the Lighthouse Directory's entry (it's actually pictorially featured on the North Frisia page, which is where it happens to be located):
"1908. Active; focal plane 41 m (135 ft); white, red, or green light, depending on direction, occulting three times every 15 s. 40 m (131 ft) round cast iron tower with lantern and double gallery, mounted on a 1-story concrete base and flanked to either side by two 1-1/2 story keeper's cottages. Lighthouse painted with red and white horizontal bands; lantern, watch room, and galleries painted black. ... This beautiful tower is one of the best-known lighthouses of the German North Sea coast. It is such a popular site for weddings that one of the keeper's cottages is a registrar's office; the other is a national park office. The lighthouse wsa restored and repainted in 2023. Located near the beach at the northwestern corner of the Eiderstedt peninsula, west of Osterhever."I'm sure there's a video, and there are lots of pictures. The Bing.com picture is the first one. One of the other ones isn't even a photograph, but I liked it.




No comments:
Post a Comment