Monday, April 25, 2011

Japanese tsunami causes earthquake disaster in Chile

Chilean scallop farms devastated by tsunami

I didn't think that the tsunami hit South America hard, but apparently it came in hard enough to hurt these deep-water scallop farms. As a staunch advocate of fish farming (provided it's done with the best methods to reduce excreta pollution), this makes me upset.

Here's a picture and a page of how they do it:





















Scallop culture technologies

OK, I'll admit, I didn't know scallops could be, and are being, farm-raised. I guess, despite the setback in Chile, I can put them on my list of seafood I can eat, as long as they're labeled "farm-raised".

Peruvian farm-raised scallops:





















Web page (animated slide show): IQF Scallops-CNV Marketing

No comments: