Monday, August 22, 2011

I think that I shall never see - a tunnel prettier than a tree


Hard to believe, but there are far-fetched plans afoot to build a tunnel under the Bering Sea for a train. First question: how in the world would there be money enough to make train travel on that route economical? Second question: what rail lines are going to get built in Alaska and Canada through wilderness, and how is that going to get pass environmental review? (Maybe after all the tar sands mining is done in Alberta, the Albertans won't care -- and I know the Alaskans don't if there's a buck to be made in the deal.)

The cost would be $99 billion dollars (oh, why didn't they just go ahead and call it a nice round $100 billion?) and would be done in ... 2045.

I think I have to file this one in my RIDICULOUS folder.

Bering Strait tunnel approved (sort of)

Postscript: I think they have a much better chance of launching that space hotel than ever getting the first dirt dug out for this tunnel.

No comments: