Saturday, May 26, 2012

There will be a Maryland lacrosse champion


Well, my betting recommendations (bet against my pick of an all-Maryland final in the NCAA Division 1 lacrosse championships) didn't work out.  Even though it stayed nervous for Loyola into the last few minutes, they got past Notre Dame 7-5.  Goalie Runkel was definitely ON.   And Maryland shot past Duke (great shooting percentage) in a game with a final score of 16-10 that wasn't that close, as the Terps got up 16-8 and cruised late, allowing Duke a couple of meaningless goals.   I think that shows that seeds in the lacrosse tourney don't mean a lot;  Maryland was clearly in the same class as Duke, and the teams split their games in the regular season.

So, one would ask, who would I now pick in this all-Maryland final?   Well, I watched Maryland lose three finals in 1995, 1997, and 1998, and of course they lost last year, so why should this year be any different?  So I pick Loyola to win a fairly close one, with a prediction of the final score of:

Greyhounds 11  Terps 8

But at least the winner is guaranteed to be a Maryland school other than Johns Hopkins.  Variety is nice.

No comments: