Friday, October 8, 2010

Am I so wrong?

I personally thought that Julianne Hough's "Is That So Wrong?" song (not another somebody done somebody wrong song) was good enough for airplay and the Billboard Top 100. I don't know if it ever made it (checking Wikipedia indicates that it didn't). Apparently (and I totally missed it until I was looking around today), her video accompanying the song generated some controversy. Because she did some dancing in it, in her style, which is rather entertaining from a primarily heterosexual male POV.

The problem is, I can't find the video. It has been pulled from everywhere.

Now, I did find a video of the filming of the video, which includes some scenes from the video: Behind the Scenes of Julianne Hough's Sexy New Music Video

This indicates that there are two pretty phenomenal dance moves in the video - one including a split roll on the bed, the other the removal of an article of clothing while spinning. So I'd sure like to see the whole thing, but that may never happen.

Or not. I did find it from a site called www.youclubvideo.com. Apparently the URL for it keeps moving around. If interested, search for "Is That So Wrong" with the word "video" after that phrase.

So, assessing it -- she sings well, she dances PHENOMENALLY. She's a champion dancer, after all -- what's wrong with trying to utilize that? But it might not sit well with the fans of "true country", if that exists anymore. It may take awhile for her to gain acceptance in the mainstream CW community, given that she's trying to get into the club in an non-standard fashion. She might never. I don't know if CW is ready for someone who's a dancer first and singer second, unlike pop music, where I'd say she sings better and dances a LOT better than Britney Spears (as a representative example, but certainly not the only one). I think for other CW artists that have definitive sex appeal: Shania Twain, Faith Hill, Martina McBride, Lorrie Morgan, Deana Carter, and current rapidly rising stars Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood are a few, and dare I say, Dolly Parton was most definitely female -- they were still singers first, the sex appeal just came along for the ride. Julianne, on the other hand, is leading with the abundant sex appeal and trying to bring the voice along. If she gets the right song, it should and could work -- but apparently "Is That So Wrong?" was the wrong song.

No comments: