Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Rebellious phase?



I always thought Brenda Song was pretty good-looking, in an Asian-American way. I also thought that she was pigeonholed for a long time as a ditz due to her role on a Disney show. "The Social Network" was a breakthrough for her. I also thought that she was probably a child prodigy, driven by her parents into a show-business life, and a high achiever who hadn't had much time for a private life.

Thus, the news that she is pregnant by Trace Cyrus, who is definitely NOT the type of guy that I imagine parents with high expectations of their daughter would expect her to bring home, catches me less surprised than others might be. I think Trace fights the exact mold of the "wrong" kind of guy that a young woman wanting to send a message would pick. Now, that doesn't mean she doesn't have romantic feelings for him; it just means that I suspect Song was attracted to the kind of "bad boy" her parents wouldn't approve of.

I could be totally wrong with this pop psychology. But there's a reason that rockers get the hot chicks, and it's not all about looks. Ask Paulina Porizkova.

Brenda Song and Trace Cyrus Expecting First Child

Now, more support for my theory, from the Wikipedia bio:

"When she was six years old, Song moved with her mother to Los Angeles to support her acting career; the rest of the family followed two years later. As a young girl, Song wanted to do ballet, while her younger brother wanted to take taekwondo. She said, "My mom only wanted to take us to one place," so they settled on taekwondo. Although Song cried all the way through her first class, she now holds a black belt in taekwondo. Song was named an All-American Scholar in the ninth grade. She was homeschooled and earned a high school diploma at age 16, then took courses at a community college and online from the University of California-Berkeley with a major in psychology and a minor in business."

That makes me think that I'm on target here. Also from the bio:

"On being a young role model to kids, Song said: "Oh goodness, I hope I can set a good example. If I can do it, anyone can. I’m living my dream every single day."

Makes me wonder if being a role model includes using birth control so as not to get knocked-up with an unplanned pregnancy. Now, I'm not saying this was unplanned, but having a baby with your rocker boyfriend at 23 when you've got a rising starlet career ahead of you... well...

Father-to-be; every mother's dream?






No comments: