Thursday, July 3, 2014

2014 undangerous prediction status update


Some events have transpired recently that have affected the status of my Undangerous Predictions for 2014.

Specifically, numbers 1 and 9.

Number 1 was about the U.S. men's national (soccer) team making it out of the group play round at the World Cup.   Because a lot of experts predicted that they wouldn't make it out of the group, so did I.

They were wrong.  So was I.   So why did they make it out of the group round?

Blame Portugal.  Portugal had a bad first game against Germany, got in a goal-differential hole, and couldn't dig out.  And the U.S.A. did what it had to do, defeating Ghana in the first game.  And because Portugal only managed to tie the U.S.A. in their game, that was enough to get them out of the group and invalidate the prediction.   BUT... it's one that I wanted to be wrong.  Unfortunately, they couldn't get lucky and defeat Belgium.

On to number 9.  Number 9 was a prediction that the U.S.A. would experience two land-falling hurricanes this Atlantic hurricane season.   I just checked, and though it hasn't yet, I'm pretty sure that Hurricane Arthur's eyewall will touch some part of the North Carolina beaches.  And then that prediction will be 50% correct.

I'll update that one this weekend.



No comments: