Thursday, March 19, 2015

The real Jennifer Inniss


One of the most visited posts on my little blog all-time is the post I wrote about the female model for the torso statues at the Los Angeles Coliseum, entitled "I Found the Olympic Female Sculpture Model".

Well, it turns out that the picture I found that is identified as Jennifer Inniss from the Friends of Guyana Athletics Web site is not Jennifer Inniss.  I found this out because I was contacted by none other than Jennifer Inniss herself.   She is apparently married with a new name, and I won't reveal that in the interests of her privacy.

Jennifer suggested that I could find pictures of her in Track and Field News or in pictures of the U.S. Track and Field Championships.  The problem is, they aren't online.

But your dauntless blogger persevered, and finally found a YouTube video of the U.S 1988 Olympic Trials in the 100 meter, which was dominated by a runner who probably dominated due to the same methods as Marion Jones, though she never was nabbed.   But enough of that.  Jennifer Inniss was a world-class athlete and she was in the Olympic trials final.  That is high achievement.

As the athletes take the blocks for the start, Jennifer is seen in the white and red top and blue shorts.  The best look at her is at the 1:17 mark.



 
I should note that in my research it turned out that while she ran for Guyana in 1984, she represented the U.S. in 1988, and she was on several national (USA) relay teams.   She was GOOD. Unfortunately without higher quality photographs, we can't judge what led to her selection for immortalization in bronze.





No comments: