Monday, March 2, 2015

I wonder if this qualifies?


Here was one of my Edgy Predictions for 2015:

"7.    Senator James Inhofe will make a stunningly stupid remark about global warming in Congressional hearings.  It will be recognized widely as being totally incorrect and very stupid. Even the climate deniers will be shocked at how wrong it is, but they will still try to explain why it is correct."

And the Washington Post wrote this about Inhofe's recent snowball stunt:

Sen. James Inhofe embarrasses the GOP and the U.S.

Some highlights:

“In case we had forgotten, because we keep hearing that 2014 has been the warmest year on record,” Mr. Inhofe continued, reaching for a plastic bag next to his lectern, “I ask the chair, do you know what this is? It’s a snowball, just from outside here. It’s very, very cold out.”
Mr. Inhofe then tossed his snowball at the presiding officer.
...
“If the land surface records were systematically flawed and the globe had not really warmed, then it would be almost impossible to explain the concurrent changes in this wide range of indicators produced by many independent groups,” the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration concluded when it announced that the 2000s had set a decadal temperature record. “The warming of the climate system is unequivocal.”
...
"The Republican Party should be mortified by the face of their environmental leadership."

BUT THEY AREN'T. THEY LIKE THEM LIKE THIS.

So... it was definitely stupid.  I haven't seen the skeptics coming to his defense yet.  And it wasn't in Congressional hearings.  So I guess this doesn't meet the criteria I set for my prediction to be correct.

But still, I expect this is a preview of coming attractions and entertainment from the Senator, so I'm a little more confident I'll get this one right.




No comments: