Thursday, February 4, 2016

China still increasing nuclear power


I've got to admire the Chinese (and maybe late in life learn the language).  Because right now China is where the action is in terms of building nuclear power plants.

Now, I think enough plants will stay in operation here in the U.S. long enough for me to make it retirement, so I probably won't end up in China. Still, it might be fun to work on a floating nuclear power plant.   Now, if we could just get the Chinese to stop burning so much coal...

Total nuclear power capacity in China to double by 2020
"While the world took a step back from nuclear power in the wake of Japan's Fukushima tragedy in 2011, mostly coal-powered China remained committed to developing the technology. The total capacity of the country's nuclear power units is set to double by the end of the decade to 58 gigawatts (GW), local media reported Wednesday."
China planning to build floating nuclear power plant
"Beijing included the development of two marine nuclear power plants, to be built by China General Nuclear Power Corporation (CGN) and China National Nuclear Corporation (CNNC) respectively, in its 13th five-year plan for 2016-2020, the two companies announced earlier this month."
I'll believe it when I see it.  But 2020 is not that far away - so if they do build it, I've got a reasonably good chance of seeing it built.



No comments: