Thursday, January 31, 2019

In the city with Highway 41 (and Highway 19 and 3, too)


The Streetview trek on Highway 41 is truly in Atlanta now, and it will get interesting pretty quick.  Maybe not in this post, but still, pretty quick.

I'd like to describe here, briefly, one reason that I'm doing this.  When I was much younger and considered potential adventures, one of them was riding a bike end-to-end on Highway 41 and having a magazine (I wanted it to be National Geographic) accompany me and take great pictures.  Nat Geo has done things like this before, such as following a kid around the world in a sailboat (even though he took a long break during the trip), or following U.S. Route 1, the nation's first highway, from end to end.  That latter is what inspired my idea to ride the bike on Highway 41.   (And Nat Geo would follow other adventurers, hiking long trails like the Pacific Crest trail, or exploring deep caves and climbing mountains, etc.)

This never happened, because I had to be employed, I wasn't independently wealthy, I never established a writing career, and I never was a very strong bicycle rider.  Oh Well.  I guess I could have tried it by car, but that would have been too fast, and walking would have taken way too long.

So ... if I was doing it Nat Geo style, I would get off the road and visit more historical places and sights near the road, rather than staying right on the road (though I have obviously gone off it a little).  But since I can't get too far off the road, I'll link to interesting places I mention, even if I don't find StreetViews for them.



A couple of examples are shown in this next collection of StreetView scenes in Atlanta.

I forgot to note that very near Evangeline Booth college is the Pittman Park pool. You can take a look at that if you want to. It's not on the main highway.




Crossing under Interstate 20. This definitely isn't the part of Atlanta that most tourists visit.



Just north of the Interstate 20 crossing, Highway 41/19/3 takes a northeastward jog. Unfortunately, that means we can't visit either Spelman College or Morehouse College or Clark Atlanta University. (Note that now the collective highways are also called Northside Drive.)

This is the intersection with Spelman Lane and Chapel Street.  To get to Spelman College, take Spelman Lane (the street that has a brick wall on the left side, and there's a brick building above the wall and fence, and a white house on the right).  If you click at the end of the "street" just a few times, you'll get to Spelman College.




Next post -- something big and new!

No comments: