Sunday, January 24, 2021

Lighthouse of the Week, January 24 - 31, 2021: Fangyuan, Taiwan

 

Sometimes it requires a bit of ingenuity to maintain variety in this pursuit of lighthouses around the world to feature.  So this week, I decided to search for lighthouses painted with vertical stripes.  Horizontal and spiral stripes aren't uncommon, but I didn't recall very many with vertical stripes.  The search indicated there are a few.  The first one I found looked pretty interesting, but when I searched on the name, it looked like it had been repainted all white.  I won't reveal which one it is, because I'll likely feature it shortly.  

So after a little more searching, I found the one I'm featuring this week, the Fangyuan lighthouse on Taiwan's west coast.  It's quite prominent, as it is tall and isolated.  Plus, it has black-and-white vertical stripes.

So, here's the Lighthouse Directory info.

"1983. Active; focal plane 36 m (118 ft); white light, 5 s on, 5 s off. 37 m (121 ft) octagonal concrete tower with lantern and double gallery. Tower painted with black and white vertical stripes; lantern painted white with a black dome."

The short notes also say that the current light came from a different lighthouse.

So, let's see where it is.  The nearest large city is Taichung City.

Below, three pictures and a stamp.







No comments: