Saturday, January 23, 2021

The New River is a New national park

 

I just saw this today.  After reading it, I'm putting this on my destination list, and I can get there in approximately a quarter day (if I don't stop anywhere).  I've heard of it before, mainly because of the bridge over the gorge, but I'd never considered if I should try to visit.

I could make a long weekend of it and also visit Natural Bridge State Park in Kentucky.  That would make it a pretty long drive back, though.


New River Gorge: America’s newest national park is one of West Virginia’s hidden gems

"The New River Gorge is located in southern West Virginia, roughly five hours southwest of D.C. The new designations [as a national park and preserve] encompass 53 miles of the New River (locally called simply “the New”) and the rugged tangle of Appalachian forest around it, which is crisscrossed by hiking and mountain biking trails, railroad tracks, and winding country roads. The area has been administered by the National Park Service, which maintains several visitor centers on the gorge, since it was given conservation status as a national river in 1978."

There are great photos in the article;  here's another one I found.




 



No comments: