Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Lighthouse of the Week, June 20-26, 2021: Îlot des Singes (Stora), Algeria

 

I cast about in my mind for a country with a coast that I had not visited before to find a Lighthouse of the Week, and came up with Algeria.  I was surprised to find out that it had several working (and scenic) lighthouses.  So I think I'll turn this into a short series.

The series starts with Îlot des Singes, on a little island and apparently part of a small castle, in the Skikda harbor region.  I'll let the Lighthouse Directory take it from here:

"1847. Active; focal plane 17 m (56 ft); continuous light, white or green depending on direction. 9 m (30 ft) square stone tower with lantern and gallery, mounted on the platform of a former medieval fort. ... This picturesque and historic lighthouse is one of the best known tourist attractions of the Skikda area. Located on a small island just offshore on the north side of Stora; the island is connected to the mainland by an arched stone bridge."

Let's see how picturesque it is.




 

No comments: