Thursday, June 3, 2021

Lighthouse of the Week, May 30 - June 5, 2021: Cap Formentor, Mallorca, Spain

 

I've been doing this Lighthouse of the Week feature for several years now, and I strive to find new places with lighthouses before I repeat visit (but of course I've repeated many countries and locations, because some places have a lot of lighthouses and other places don't).   I was casting around mentally for a new place, and though it isn't a new country, it is a new island.  And this island has several lighthouses, so many and some centuries old, that I think I'll make it a short series.   

I'll start with the Cap Formentor, because of its outstanding location at the top of a high oceanside cliff.  It's easy to find this one on a map.

As one would expect, I went to the Lighthouse Directory for the relevant information, which is edited for length below.

"1863. Active; focal plane 210 m (689 ft); four white flashes every 20 s. 22 m (72 ft) round masonry tower with lantern and double gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. Lighthouse painted white; lantern is gray metallic. This lighthouse marks the northernmost tip of Mallorca and the entrance to the Badia de Pollença; it is accessible at the end of a very crooked road about 25 km (15 mi) northeast of Port de Pollença. There is a café and gift shop at the lighthouse."

 Pictures below from near to close, and an impressive video.

















No comments: