Saturday, December 4, 2021

I typed in "Fomes"

 

As I have mentioned occasionally before, when I need to get to Google, I will occasionally type in a random wordlike combination of letters and see what comes up.   As I've also mentioned occasionally, frequently this discovers a raunchy or off-color definition in the Urban Dictionary.

But less occasionally, the wordlike combination turns out to be a word or name that I didn't know previously was a word or name.  That was the case recently when I type in "Fomes".

Fomes, it turns out, is a type of big fungi, with a common shape that is described as "hoof-like", and it can be called "Hoof Fungus". 

More on that here from First Nature (a great Web site):  

Fomes fomentarius 

And what we find from that site is the Otzi the Iceman was carrying some of this when he met his end in the high Alps.  The reason was probably because this fungus burns slowly, helping to start a fire.  For that reason, it's also called "Tinder Fungus". 

Here are three fotographic examples of Fomes:







No comments: