Saturday, December 4, 2021

Putting another place on the list

 

I've been to Paris.  I've seen the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre, Napoleon's Tomb, the Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame (many years before the fire), the Pompidou Centre, the Bastille ... and some other places, most of them well-known, a couple more obscure. But there are many places still to see, I've learned, if I ever return there.

The strange thing is, I never appreciated the Pantheon.  In fact, I truly never heard of "The Pantheon" until I saw an article about the original Unknown Soldier, who was in fact French.  The original idea for the Unknown Soldier was to have his grave at the Pantheon (where other famous French notables are buried), but they changed their plans and buried him under the Arc de Triomphe.  However, he was honored at the Pantheon before he was moved to the Arc by a solemn procession.

But recently, Josephine Baker was honored with a burial at the Pantheon, and I saw a picture of the interior, which is quite dramatic, very cathedral-like.  So now, if I ever visit Paris again, I have another place to see.

(By the way, this confused me a bit;  Baker is actually buried in Monaco, so they created a coffin filled with soil from various locations meaningful to her for the enshrinement in the Pantheon.)

Here's a Streetview, in case you're wondering what it looks like.




No comments: