Sunday, June 25, 2023

Grab a shovel

 

I was fascinated a few years ago when the bones of King Richard III of England, immortalized in a Shakespeare play and the last English king to die in battle, were found under a parking lot. 

It turns out that several other kings and notables have been lost. England needs to learn not to pave over their former holy places. Better record-keeping would be helpful too -- and sheesh, this is England, they ought to be able to do that.

This article from the Daily Mail lists the lost, and provides a short update on the search for Henry I, who might also be located under a parking lot in Reading.

From the vanquished King Harold to the Princes in the Tower: The rulers whose resting places are unknown… as academic who found Richard III believes she knows where Henry I is

One of Henry I's noteworthy accomplishments is that he holds the record for fathering the most illegitimate children of any English king. I'm not sure what the European royalty record is, but the most recent contender has been Albert II of Monaco. (Sorry, Princess Charlene, but that's the truth, as I'm pretty sure you're aware.)











Henry I

England should at least raise a monument to him, as apparently he was pretty good at raising his own monument. 


No comments: