Monday, August 31, 2026

Lighthouse of the Week, May 10-16, 2026: Farol de Cabo Polonio, Uruguay

 

Yes, indeed, I promise, to the best of my effort, to catch up with the Lighthouses of the Week for 2026, and not miss a week.  I have a lot of work to do.

As promised (awhile ago, but I did promise) I'm going to feature a couple more lighthouses from Uruguay.  While I was dropping the ball, I also found a really historic lighthouse in the USA that will show up here, too.  There are going to be a lot of lighthouses.

So, kicking this into gear, this week's featured lighthouse is the Cabo Polonio light.  This handsome tower is located here. It's in Uruguay, of course.

Here is information about it, from where I usually get information, the Lighthouse Directory.

"1881. Active; focal plane 40 m (131 ft); white flash every 12 s. 26 m (85 ft) round brick tower with lantern and double gallery rising from 1-story keeper's house. Tower unpainted except for three narrow white horizontal bands; lantern and watch room painted with red and white vertical stripes. ... The lighthouse marks a rocky point in an otherwise sandy area; nearby offshore are several islands with colonies of seals. The area was declared a national monument in 1976. There's no public road access, but the light can be reached by hiking on the beach from nearby resorts."

Pictures are provided below. 

 





No comments: