Monday, June 10, 2013

Perhaps one of the most important posts I've ever made


Yes, I think it's very important that the world find out about the different taste profiles of coffee beans grown in different parts of the world.

Well, it's important because I, who likes coffee (but doesn't drink gallons of it a day, a couple of cuppas a day is enough), never saw this kind of important information before.  And this is simple.  Get into blending, and then I think it could get much more complex.

So, if you think this is as important as I do, feel free to pass it on.

What do coffees from the major growing regions taste like?

As an example, here's Sumatran/Indonesian, one that I like in particular:

Again we see the result of variety, processing, and climate in the coffees from Indonesia, which tend to have a deep, dark, almost meaty earthiness to them. Sumatran coffees in particular take to dark roasting well, and so there are often smoky and toasted flavors present in the cup. Others will have a stouty or mushroom-like complexity that is both savory and herbaceous, and a long, lasting finish that feels like very dark or unsweetened cocoa.
Now they just need to tell me if Tanzanian Peaberry tastes that much different from plain ol' Kenyan, and what's so great about Kona.

Maybe he'll get to that next time.


No comments: