Friday, January 2, 2015

But what do they all EAT?

Every spring, migrating sandhill cranes (more than 500,000) make a stopover on the Platte River to rest and get some calories before continuing southward.

Not having the answer to that question in my head, I did a little research. Turns out the sandhill cranes that stop over on the Platte River eat --- corn.

From this page:

I found this information:

"The cranes that visit the Platte River valley feed primarily on grain left in corn fields, which makes up 90% of their diet while here.  The other 10% comes from plant and animal foods found in wet meadows adjacent to the river.  Seeds, fleshy tubers of plants, grubs, earth worms, snails, amphibians, small reptiles and rodents are all fair game."


No comments: