Sunday, October 19, 2014

Lighthouse of the Week, October 19-25, 2014: Green Point Lighthouse, Newfoundland


I was astonished by the number of lighthouses Newfoundland has.  Look at this list:

Lighthouses of Newfoundland


There are a lot of good candidates, and I think I might do a three-week series.  So I just went to the image search and went with the first picture that really stood out.

The 'winner' was Green Point Lighthouse.  It's a pretty simple lighthouse, no keeper's house anymore, powered by solar-charged  batteries, but the picture caught my eye.

Green Point Lighthouse is near Port de Grave, on the southeastern peninsula of Newfoundland.  It's not far from Cape Spear, which is the easternmost point of North America, and which apparently has two lighthouses.  I'll probably do that one next week if I can figure out if it really does have two lighthouses. (Actually, yes, it does.)

This was the picture that made me choose Green Point Lighthouse this week.
















by Robert Baker on Flickr (from his "Scenic and Other" album)


Two more:



No comments: