Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Lighthouse of the Week, July 14-20, 2019: Lyudao, Green Island, Taiwan


I pondered whether I had exhausted the world's main locations where lighthouses are prevalent, wondering if I would have to return to a previous locale (there are still many, many lighthouses around the world).

I realized that I had missed a large, developed island - Taiwan.  I surmised that the rocky coastal island would have a significant number of lighthouses.

I was right.  So I'll show a couple of lighthouses from there over the next couple of weeks, especially since the first one, while famous and noteworthy, isn't actually on Taiwan.  It's on an island, Green Island, just offshore.  This map shows where it is;  zoom in if you desire details.

And it also possesses a lot of history.  I'm going to excerpt a bit more than usual from the marvelous Lighthouse Directory.
"1949 (station established 1939). Active; focal plane 48 m (157 ft); two white flashes every 20 s. 30.5 m (100 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and double gallery, attached to a 1-story concrete keeper's cottage. Lighthouse painted white, lantern roof black. ... The original lighthouse was built with American contributions after the U.S. liner President Hoover ran aground on a nearby reef in December 1937; no lives were lost due to heroic rescue efforts by the islanders. Huelse has a historic photo showing the Nationalist President Chiang Kai-Shek visiting the original lighthouse before World War II. Sadly, the lighthouse was destroyed during the war."
It was apparently rebuilt after the war, resulting in what is there now.

So here are pictures of what is there now.






















No comments: