Monday, July 5, 2021

Lighthouse of the Week, July 4 - 10, 2021: Le Phare de l'Amirauté, Algeria

 

I noted two lighthouses ago that I would make the lighthouses of Algeria a short series, and here's the second one.  It's a historic lighthouse -- also inactive -- but definitely a landmark on the coast of the city of Algiers.   

You can find it here (on a map).

The Lighthouse Directory tells us this about it:

"1834 (station established before 1700). Inactive since the 1920s or 1930s. 16 m (52 ft) 12-sided cylindrical tower with lantern and gallery rising from a 12-sided building. Lighthouse painted white, lantern black. The Peñon is a 16th century fortress at the center of the Amirauté (Admiralty), a complex of historic buildings on what was originally several small islands just off the coast."

If I was to visit Algiers (unlikely), I would try to see this.

The pictures I found:

















No comments: