Saturday, July 27, 2024

Tough and pretty

 

I never did get back to that Wimbledon prediction.  One of my picks made the final -- Jasmine Paolini -- where she was surprisingly defeated by the surprising (but deserving) Barbora Krejcikova.  Sadly, I don't think Paolini's run will last -- she doesn't have all the physical attributes, mainly size and strength -- to stand against the power of a Swiatek or a Rybakina or a Sabalenka, and of course, Krejcikova.  I thought she might have a path to the win after the second set of the final, but after a break following that set, Krejcikova came back, picked her game up, and played just enough better to win. 

What I'm noting here, however, is that Paolini had to win an epic match against Donna Vekic just to get to the final, and that one went all the way to a match tiebreak.  Vekic was in tears (see below), both due to emotion and pain, at the end.  Despite that, I noticed that she also seemed quite pretty.  Vekic may have maxed out here, career-wise, but a Wimbledon semi-final is still a strong achievement.









A short search confirmed that this sportswoman has a glam side, too. And we are all the better for it.







No comments: