Saturday, July 4, 2015

Can they win? (USA women's national team vs. Japan)


I sit here writing this early in the morning of the day that the U.S. women's national (soccer) team will play Japan for the FIFA women's World Cup.

So the question I'm asking myself is:  can they win it?

The simple answer is yes, of course they can, they're good.  They've got a great defense, some skilled players up front that can score, youthful vigor and veteran savvy.  And the coach, though somewhat criticized, has also proven she can mix it up and take chances.

The obviously more difficult question to answer is:  will they win it?

At this level, international soccer is a game of breaks and mistakes.  Far more goals are scored because someone screws up than a well-organized offensive attack (though they do happen, as the second goal against Germany in the semi showed).   So it's real simple;  the team that makes less mistakes will win.

And I think the team that makes less mistakes is... Japan.  That's how I think they've advanced the whole tournament.  Play well, make less mistakes than the other team.

So, do I predict with my heart or my head?   No, I don't predict, I state the likelihood, which is that the team that makes less mistakes will win.

And I also can easily say this:  Go USA.


No comments: