Monday, July 6, 2015

Lighthouse of the Week, July 6-12, 2015: Dondra Head, Sri Lanka


I tried to think of a place with a lot of coastline that I hadn't explored for lighthouses before. I came up with one pretty quick: Sri Lanka, the teardrop island off the southern tip of India, which probably became most famous in past history with the December 26, 2004 earthquake that caused a tsunami which hit the island hard.

My first question was, does it have lighthouses? Turns out it does. So the next question is, what's a good Sri Lankan lighthouse for Lighthouse of the Week?

That question was easy to answer too; I chose the absurdly photogenic, palm tree surrounded, famous Dondra Head lighthouse.

Info:

1890. Active; focal plane 47 m (154 ft); white flash every 5 s. 49 m (161 ft) octagonal brick tower with lantern and gallery, painted white.

Article about a visit to Dondra Head lighthouse (from 2004, apparently, pre-tsunami)

Pictures:





No comments: