Wednesday, September 28, 2016

This explains why I don't like pumpkin pie very much


I'll just put this out there -- squash is one of my least favorite foods.  Oh, I can handle zucchini if they're covered with tomato sauce and cheese, and flavored with garlic, but that's about it.  I tried spaghetti squash innards as spaghetti once, but that wasn't so great.  The other varieties?  Yuck.

And even though I've always had a slice of pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving and Christmas, I prefer apple. Or cherry.  Or lemon meringue.  Or key lime.   I've always known that pumpkin was a variety of squash, so even with the sugar and the cinnamon and the whipped cream, the pumpkin pie was not my favorite highlight of the meal.

So it turns out that the pumpkin pie filling used for pumpkin pie ISN'T pumpkin.  It's squash!



Pass me another slice of apple pie, please.






Article on MSN.COM: I Just Found Out Canned Pumpkin Isn’t Pumpkin At All, And My Whole Life is Basically a Lie

Quote: "Pumpkin puree: You know, the canned orange stuff that’s lining the supermarket walls right now? The stuff you use to make all your favorite fall desserts that’s labeled “100% pumpkin”?! Yes, well, it’s actually made from 100% not pumpkin. The mix is made from a variety of winter squash (think butternut, Golden Delicious, Hubbard, and more)."

(Read the rest of the article. It's funny, but it's also tragic.

No comments: