Friday, August 18, 2017

Have you ever heard of an "ensuite"?


Have you ever heard of an "ensuite" (or "en-suite")?

Well, I admit I had not.  The first time I encountered this term was in this Daily Mail article about a nice, yet slightly unusual, house for sale in Australia.

Four-bedroom suburban family home complete with a swimming pool sells for more than $1MILLION – but can you spot what's wrong with it?

The answer is easy to see, it's in the first picture.  It happens to be a couple of bathroom fixtures (including the john) quite close to the bed.  Now, in case you think that the excretory functions are a spectator sport in this room, the hygienic portion of the room can be visually separated from the slumberous portion (the bed) by a sliding partition.  Not aurally or olfactorily, though.

But later on in the article, it says this:
"Despite the initially confronting visual of the toilet so close to a bed, the bathroom can be concealed by a series of sliding doors, effectively turning the space into a bedroom with ensuite."
That was the second time I had ever seen the word "ensuite".  The first was in the previous sentence, where it was hyphenated.

So naturally I had to find out what an ensuite was, though I'd already had a visual example.  Focusing on definitions, here's what it is:

"(of a bathroom) immediately adjoining a bedroom and forming part of the same set of rooms."

That actually doesn't seem so unusual;  many master bedrooms are (or have) ensuites.  In the case of the Australian house, the ensuite just happens to be very, very close to the bed.

Being naturally curious, I decided to see if I could find other ensuites, particularly the kind where a lady might shower in full view of the bed, where amorous activities had just taken place, and where her satisfied partner could take in the view of his partner in those amorous activities in the shower.

I'm funny that way.  But I found a few.

Bath or shower, for variety

In this case she'd have to take a bath.  I'm not sure where the shower is.

You'd have to slide the bed over a little to get a view of the shower

Perfect!
















And here's a small, PG-rated example of what I meant by "taking in the view".


No comments: