Sunday, March 12, 2023

Surf's up on Mars (at least it was)

 

I'm not sure if you saw this;  if you didn't, one of the reasons I do this little-followed blog is that I might note something that people didn't see.  So if you are someone who accidentally encounters my posts, you'll find out about it too.

So, moving on to the story;  the Mars Rover Curiosity found waves on Mars.

Not actual waves, silly;  there is no liquid water on the surface of Mars now. But there clearly was.  And the water that was there left evidence of waves, fossilized in sediments of an ancient lake.

I know -- cool, right?  I thought so.

NASA rover snaps photos of ancient 'waves' carved into Mars mountainside











"The ripple marks are about 0.5 mile (0.8 kilometer) up Mount Sharp, a mountain made up of a layer cake of rock that records Martian history. The 3-mile-tall (5 km) mountain was once dotted with lakes and streams, making it an intriguing area to search for signs of ancient Martian life, according to the NASA statement."

No comments: