Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Top 10 most familiar classical music overtures


I was listening to the classical radio station the other day when they played van Suppe's "Light Cavalry Overture".  I said to myself, "I should know that", but until the familiar theme in the middle started, I didn't recognize it.   But once having recognized it, I started thinking about the other very famous overtures that get played over and over and over

and over and over and over

and over and over and over

etc., again.

So this is the list I came up for the Top 10 most-played (perhaps "overplayed" also fits) classical overtures.   See what you think.

Sometimes I regret that my blog has so few followers.  This would be a fun little topic to have comments on.  So if you are reading this and you can think of someone who might like to comment, tell them about it.

 Top 10 most familiar classical overtures

1. Poet and Peasant
2. 1812
3. Light Cavalry
4. Egmont
5. Academic Festival
6. William Tell
7. Barber of Seville
8. Romeo and Juliet Fantasy
9. The Bartered Bride
10. Carmen



No comments: