Thursday, February 26, 2015

Never seen anything like this (with actual ice; with pumice, yes)


Many other people saw these pictures and commented on them, but I just have to comment too.  The semi-solid half-frozen waves off Nantucket are amazing.  I've never seen anything like them.

The slurpee waves of Nantucket

Well, actually I have.  But not with ice, with pumice.  The frothy volcanic rock that floats.   After the  pretty big eruption of Puyehue-Cordón Caulle volcano in Chile, a lot of the ash fell into some picturesque lakes (especially Nahuel Huapi lake), making them much less picturesque.  Making them pretty mucky, in fact.  But unique that way.




Since I'm on this subject, I checked to see if the lakes are recovering. Couldn't find much. But I did find one tourist guide that recommended taking boat tours of the lakes, so I would guess that they have gotten somewhat better since the 2011 eruption.

No comments: