Wednesday, May 22, 2024

If Trump's convicted, can he still be President?

 

I'm writing this about a week before we'll find out if former President Donald Trump will be convicted of multiple felonies in the so-called "hush money" case. It's really not about the hush money, it's about covering up the hush money by falsifying business documents about what it was for, because what it was for was to illegally aid Donald Trump in getting elected President.

So I'll probably revisit this. But I'll get it out there now (even though the article is more than a month old as I strive to reduce my time lag):

Trump’s the likely GOP nominee. He can serve even if convicted of a crime.

"In drafting the Constitution, the framers did not seriously consider that someone convicted of a significant crime would be a viable candidate for the White House, said Kimberly Wehle, a law professor at the University of Baltimore. Instead, she said, such a person presumably would be stunted in their political rise and unlikely to reach the highest levels of the American political system."
Well, it's a measure of how low the GOP has fallen that they are going to nominate Trump again. If he's convicted (and I think the case was pretty strong), then they'll go even lower.

Which boggles the mind, but that's where we are.

And I wish he was here.



No comments: