Thursday, August 20, 2015

These wouldn't exist on a geologically uninteresting planet


Every now and then I contemplate the fact that we (humanity) live on an extraordinarily diverse planet.  Due to plate tectonics and the movement of the continents, at the root of it, the Earth has a huge variety of scenic places.  Add in erosion by ice or water or dust, and the variety of environments we have, from river deltas to deserts to icy mountains, and we have a plethora of beautiful and amazing things to see.

One of the superb things that results from the geological processes of the Earth and the interplay of our enviromental factors is waterfalls.

I thought about having a Waterfall of the Month on this blog, not that my Lighthouse of the Week has attracted any great deal of attention.  But doing that would allow me to search around the Web for superb pictures of waterfalls.

I'll still think about it. Might be fun.  But while I'm thinking about it, we (me and those rare people who are reading this) can both take a look at the pictures in this Daily Mail article about the world's great waterfalls.

Incredible pictures of the world's most breathtaking waterfalls

And here's one that's moderately famous locally, South River Falls in Shenandoah National Park:



No comments: